Monday, November 29, 2010

Max and Me

I am reading Max and Marjorie, the letters of MKR and Maxwell Perkins, her famous editor. I am amazed by how much her work depended on his suggestions. I knew that The Yearling arose from his initial suggestion that she write a " boys book" and that she was the one who changed it to a book " about a boy." Reading his suggestions for South Moon Under, I am aware of both his talent and his technique. He always began with praise and then inserted suggestions. She took most of them. No wonder she could not compose well after his death.

Last night I received a huge bag of well washed collards. I think I will create my favorite collard soup since I have smoked turkey from Thanksgiving and sweet potatoes from the river yard patch. They are slender but scrumptious. The combo is something MKR would have enjoyed with a pan of hot corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment