Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Golden Acid Apples

Trotted out today to pick the Ambersweet oranges for breakfast. Perhaps it was citrus hubris that got me but the juice made my lips pucker. I wonder if I picked them too early? Sally Morrison says leave them on the trees until the news of an impending hard freeze. Today I have on a sleeveless shirt and shorts, so I guess there is no danger of the hard freeze just yet.

I wonder,have they interbred with the calamondines? Speaking of those lovelies, I have made a wonderful waffle syrup with orange marmalade and a few tablespoons of calamondine juice. It adds MKR's beloved tartness. I am going to make the wild orange pie on page 197 of Morrison's book. The idea of low fat cottage cheese as opposed to the canned condensed milk I usually use, is appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment